Tuesday, November 17, 2009

potty training day #1 and #2

My goal is to have Kobe potty trained by the time he goes into Sunbeams.*** January**

So some back ground....we have tried this before. breaking him into slowly. he actually peed once and got a stuff puppy for it. Then that phase died in one day. that's ok it was before Trevor and i knew once the baby got here we would have been back to square one.

Real attempt #1: Lasted ONE day, if that! I had took him every hour. He had even made it thru a nap time. But after the second pair of wet floor/clothes, I thought maybe it's not today!

So the other day I had been working my days in a row...lack of sleep on my part (trying to get a project done for a sister) and late nights at work, not so much my fault. Well thins dear friend named Allison asked if Kobe could come over and play, so one he could finally play with his buddy and #2 So I could get a nap in while Trevor did. I really appreciated it and took her up on it. Unfortunately during my comatose state Kobe decided he wanted to wear underwear!!!! I couldn't really say no, after all he was determined and already had his clothes in hand. I warned Allison and she was a trooper, "I've potty trained one so far, that's fine." Needless to say she said he pottied a couple of times and then she forgot to remind him and that was that.

So Jason has been on me saying, If you really wanted to you could get him potty trained.
First.....
the time always stinks. Someone is sick, going away for the weekend, work.....yada yada
Second...
He really doesn't tell me when he has to go. It is usually WHEN it is happening.
Third...
No one said he couldn't try....Right?


OK OK So I decided to really try....
Monday: We have been going to the potty every 15 mins. At one point I thought "do we really need to go so often?" and that is when I would hear "Mom I'm peeing some help"
Then again...Well We probably went through 5 sets of pants and underwear. One of those was when the missionaries where here eating, so our focused was a little distracted. Luckily he was in his room, "but yelled I'm pooping from his room" Which is not Embarrassing at all! The funny thing was he didn't want me in the bathroom with him. I don't know if he picked this up at Allison's, but I thought it was funny. Another thing I noticed was he actually tried sitting for a while and trying. before he would sit for 2 seconds and say he was done.

Tuesday: We started the day by getting underwear back on. I would set my cell phone to go off every 20 mins. So far today....4:30 pm and no accidents today. I swear he hasn't gone in the toilet, but must if not accidents today. Sure has made laundry a little easier. He still doesn't tell me, I just remind him or he hears the potty alarm. I got scared at one point cause he said he didn't need to go sit on the toilet and want to lay one my bed while i did laundry. So to cautious a laid a blanket down. One thing I noticed today, Sometimes he wanted me to stay and other times not. The one thing he doesn't get.....The stickers are apparently for trying (not actually going) so day one has a million stickers and we are out of stickers day two. But hey at least we are going in the right direction. We just can't EVER LEAVE THE HOUSE! ?:)

Does this make any sense?????Potty training tips needed!

4 comments:

MJSheppard said...

First of all that picture of Kobe holding up his UNDERWEAR is so dang cute. Print it and post it where he can see it, possibly the bathroom.

Second, one word. BUSHES!!! If you had built/moved by us, that would not be a problem. Maybe visit Hemi...she is almost to the point of sitting down, okay, not so much but she loves to string TP all over and flush the toilet a million times.

The McBride Bunch said...

Kye went naked for days and that finally did the trick. That was after a lot of other things like sticker chart, shopping in mommy's shopping basket where I had bought a bunch of little toys and wrapped them, game boards, and on and on and on. But ulimately it was going naked and going cold turkey. No diapers or pull-ups, ONLY undies! GOOD LUCK!

Kali Jo said...

i tried it all and nothing worked until he decided to do it on his own. We did the chartsw and the cheerios in the potty to aim at and the treats and the toys. after trying for OVER A YEAR! he decided that he would do it on his own. It sucked so bad for so loooongg!! I understand your pain. One of my friends had her boy sit on the toilet like a pony (backward facing water tank) tried that too. Hopfully somthing works. cause 3 kids in diapers was not any fun at all!!
BEST WISHES! Sorry to be such a downer.

Jaime said...

Well, we've been thinking of trying, and so your post prepped me for what we're in for. :) I have heard over and over again that the cold turkery method is the best though. That they'll make a mess the first few days then figure it out....